There is no denying it, beagles are cute
But is a beagle the right dog for your family? They don’t suit everyone, and that’s ok, no judgment here. But before you jump in heart first, can you say yes to these questions?
- Is your yard fully fenced, preferably with 1.8m Colorbond fencing?
- Are you prepared to walk your dog on leash at all times?
- Are you prepared to spend time training your new family member, and continue to offer enrichment activities?
- Are you ok with your plants being redistributed and your grass looking like the surface of the moon?
- Are you looking for a member of the family to spend time with you, not left alone in the back yard?
Frequently Asked Questions
frequently asked questions
Here are a few of the questions which we are often asked
do beagles shed?
YES!!! Beagles are a double coated dog, so although they are relatively short-haired, they shed throughout the year, with an extra bonus of beagle glitter in early spring
are beagles noisy?
They can be very vocal, but all dogs are different, so there is no guarantee yours will be noisy. But prepare yourself for the beagle arrrooooo
can i have a beagle if i live in a unit?
Yes, you can. Of course having a yard for your beagle to play in is ideal, but if you are prepared to take your dog out for exercise at least daily, and can give other forms of enrichment, a beagle will live happily wherever their owner is. Most of the volunteers for BRN have outside space, but their dogs usually choose to be with them inside.
At BRN we are more interested in whether you are prepared to treat your beagle as one of the family.
do beagles need company?
Beagles are very sociable, and do like to be with their people. Many will appreciate a doggy friend, but they will happily live as solo dogs.